Business Straight Up – When To Work For Free
In this episode of Business Straight Up – the podcast for photography business help and creative entrepreneurs, we are going to talk about the four letter dirty word… FREE. Yep I said it! You’ve made it! People know who you are! And now they’re asking you to work for free. There’s always a reason, whether valid at this point in your life and business or not, and it can be hard to say no. So how do you know when you should work for free? There’s the debate, right? The conversation that brings out all the trolls on social media, we’re going to dive into it because hey, why not! If you have ever been asked to work for free and you’re wondering if it’s really worth it, today’s episode is for you, and guess what: I have guidelines for you!
This has been one of my most popular photography business help articles and I expanded in this episode with a bonus reason, just for you, amazing listeners!
- Saying yes to something means saying no to something else
- There is nothing wrong with turning down work which doesn’t pay
- Common situations that come up, where people might ask you to work for free (03:42)
- The main points that often come up on this topic (05:45)
- Things to consider about working for free, realistically speaking (06:23)
- If you are saying yes to working for free, you are saying no to something else (08:39)
- Guideline #1 – exposure. (09:23)
- Guideline #2 – charity. (12:52)
- Guideline #3 – creativity. (16:09)
- Guideline #4 – stellar customer service. (21:48)
- There are no black and white answers to this question (23:30)
- The most important thing is that your time is valuable (24:10)
- There is nothing wrong to turning down request for free work (24:47)
- Get the free checklist on WHEN you should be working for free! I know that it can be hard to say no, but your time is valuable!
- Read more, learn, and get help from Brooke at Business Straight Up at businessstraightuppodcast.com
- To subscribe on iTunes, click here!
- If you’d like to get notice of new episodes by email, click here. Plus, advance notice of special classes, workshops, and mentoring opportunities that are ONLY available via email. If I could send you an cocktail via email, I would, so we’ll just have to have one together while I help you with your business, sound good?
- Check out the original article that started it all, when should professional photographers work for free?
If you loved this photography business help podcast episode, can you head on over to iTunes and leave a review? I know it takes a few minutes but I would really appreciate it. I want to impact the lives of the amazing students I work with, and your review will help me do that! Click here to visit the iTunes page!